Tuesday 19 August 2014

Runners, going against the flow

I'm all for sharing the road, paths with anyone who is legally allowed to be on them but when I am biking I come across (in the zone) runners, sometimes they are on the right side (where the flow of traffic is), so I ring my bell and go around them.  Easy!  

Runner #1, he's going in a direction that I can predict with a high chance of certainty.  They can't see behind them, they can only see what's in front of them, just like me.  I'm sure there are some jerks who try to ride real close to the runner, just to freak them out.

Runner #2, he's going against the flow of traffic.  He can see the bikes coming at him, but he's now unpredictable and I've had a few who see me coming and suddenly jump into the correct lane, or onto the grass.  This making the riding risky and getting them out of their running rhythm.


Here's where it gets really tricky, mostly when I get closer and closer to the downtown core, the paths get a little more congested.  I get to play pole-position with runners, making me weave in and out.  When I am weaving, that makes me unpredictable to them, which puts everyone at risk.


I think Ottawa needs to put a little bit of awareness.  It's like when I see people on bicycles on a sidewalk that's right beside a bike path.  Drives me CRAZY!

P.S. Sorry for the crude images but that's the best I can do, to explain myself.

Lessons Learned:
  • If I drive predictable, then everyone can guess to a certain level of assurance that I will remain predictable.


No comments:

Post a Comment