Thursday 17 July 2014

Ergonomics Vs. Speed (drag)

After driving for long periods of time on my bike, my right hand starts to go numb.  I'm simply putting to much pressure on my hands vs. my seat vs. my legs.  So it's time I started to look at the Ergonomics of my bike, since speed isn't an issue. After looking at possible solutions, this simple extender was the best solution I could come up with.  I lifted the bar up about 3cm and the numbing stopped for the most part.

The install was pretty easy, I have to admit.  Compared to the old stems I worked with when I was younger.  Ah, innovation.. It's a wonderful thing. 

I'm still contemplating about shorting the stem and move it up closer, but then I would be sitting near up right on the bike.  Causing my body to drag or catch the cross wind easily.  I think I can live with this configuration.

Lessons Learned:
  1. Adjust the bike to your body size, don't let your body adjust to the bike..
  2. Be mindful of your posture at all times when riding.  After I hit a big bump or stop, I always have to readjust my body back onto the seat correctly.

No comments:

Post a Comment