The operation has started, bike on its head and time to take it almost all apart. It's going to be a few days of working on this on and off to get it back up to road worthy speed. I still need to swap out the rubber on these, but when the warranty tires came in, it came with brand new rubber. I have a hard time justifying to myself new items when the old ones are working.
I have my wire cutters, shrink wrap, zap straps, torch, Velcro, wrench, screw drivers, pump, I'm ready to go!
I have to:
- Balance the tires, get the bead on correctly, etc. Stuff I never really had to care about to much when I drove just a mountain bike. You can see the left (front one) looks a bit lopsided;
- Swap out the break disks from small plates to the larger ones;
- Re-align the disk breaks cupplers;
- Strip out almost all the wires from the frame;
- Splice the new motor into the old controller;
- Re-adjusted the rear de-railer;
- Move the controller to the front;
- Re-programme the controller for the new motor (learning cycles)
So much stuff so little time. I tried to squeeze the time to rebuilt this bike in the middle of doing a pile of other events, such as being an MC for a fundraiser, Ambassador for a gaming convention, spending time with my kids and wife.