Wednesday 2 September 2015

Re-enforced rear rack

So I attempt to make a few support bars out of some spare metal that I had laying around.  But it became way to weak and snapped with in 24hrs (2hrs of biking) which led me to re-thinking the entire concept.  Talking to a few bike shops, they have some rear streamlines for $75.00 which seemed a bit steep for what I was looking to use it for.  I still might do it but I am going to attempt a few concepts first.

After wondering around home depot, going down the isles slowly, looking for ideas on how to fix this.  I mean, I'm just looking to make a few support rods, how difficult could that possibly be?!  I couldn't find any aluminum poles, other than curtain rods.  Which if, I pounded down the ends, drills some holes, might work.  But on the very last isle, tucked away in a corner with no labels of what they are to be used for, I found some black carbon fiber rods.  Picked up 3 of them for $5 and started to attempt to drill, cut, bend them into submission for what I wanted to use them for.  After three attempts, I finally got what I was looking for.  

Now, time to go for a bike ride and see if I hear anything rattle, break or fall off.

2 comments:

  1. Norco... Bigfoot frame? It's a nice one. I had been looking at that one as a possible fat bike.

    If the CF rods don't work out, maybe buy an aluminum rear rack and just use the aluminum rods from that?

    ReplyDelete