Wednesday 20 August 2014

Do Fat bikes move faster then speed bikes?



I know it's improbable, due to the large size of my tires and the resistance/grip I'm getting with my 26x4 tires, but it sure feels like I can coast a lot faster then most other bikes I come across.  I feel like I am forever holding onto my breaks when I'm trying to leave the downtown core. 

This is especially true when I stop at a red light at the top of a small incline. When all the bikes take off, I'm holding myself back..  Maybe it has to do with gravity and my weight density, compared to theirs but I'm starting to wonder if there is something to this fat tire, other then it can hold my weight and not get a flat the moment I hit a pot hole!

I'm able to hold the fat bike at 22-27km with no motor and I can definitively tell my legs are getting stronger.

Lessons Learned:

  • When stuck in a line with a bunch of other bicycles, try to remain with the flow of traffic, people passing people in tight spots causes accidents.
  • I know this is obvious but I see some people who just feel they are SO much more faster and deserve to be at the front, as if they are in the "Tour of France" or something.
  • Once my bike starts moving, it just wants to keep going!

No comments:

Post a Comment