Wednesday 10 June 2015

And it's alive

Fat bikes or Phat Bikes are a pain to get parts for.  I knew this and yet, I didn't know this. 

So after looking around and getting quotes for a new rear rim+spokes+axel+hub, I would get quotes that started off at $400 and that would rise to $800 or $900, with reasons (lame but reasons) and it's annoying!  

So I went out and purchased a complete bike from Canadian Tire, expecting only to use the rear rim.  It's a "quick release" 26x4 rear rim.


However, the rim didn't fit on my other phat bike. The rubber that came with it, was just to darn large.  Rim was 26x4 but the height was more than the previous rear tire.

Next, to see if I can combine the two to make one in some way.  Putting it all aside for two days and let the thoughts just roll around in the back of my mind, I decided that I would use this bike and just transfer my electronics from the front of the bike to the new bike. Simple right?  Okay.

Step 1: Move the battery from first bike.  In my case, I'm using the water bottle style.  If this doesn't work, then I can't move forward with moving everything else over.

Result Step 1: With almost no trouble, the holder fits and the battery slides in.  I removed the red stickers from the bike at the same time.  It was so hot out at the time, they just peeled off!

Step 2: Remove the electronics from my custom case.  And move it onto the new bike frame.




 Image 1: Showing the muffler bolts I used to hold the case in place.
.
 Image 2: Showing the controller in place in place.

Image 3: Case back on top of the controller.  Hides it nice.
Step 3:  Add the front tire with the motor already mounted to the front.  This was a bit annoying , since I had to move the front forks from my old bike to this bike.  The front tire was to wide.  If it's not one thing, it's another!

Step 4: Replace the rear saddle with a new one. 

And now complete with the rear bag.  Question is, when will I give it a full on test drive?  Seems there isn't enough time in the week for this.  I did drive it around the block a few times and it's going to take some time to get use to but I'm sure things will work out.



No comments:

Post a Comment