Friday 29 May 2015

And now.. I wait.

So I went to a few local bike shops and some of them just said "Nope, nothing we can do for you!" 

Looking for:

  • 26 x 4" wheel
  • 170 mm hub span
  • Quick release hub "not the single pin through new style"
  • Tubeless re-install
  • New spokes, as I broke 2 also..
Thankfully the rim is fine but I already have another 3 sets of rims, just none set for the back wheel.

So finally finding a store that was willing to rebuild under $300.00!  I'm finally now just sitting back to wait for it to be completed.  At the same time, I'm getting a different gear caset installed with a lower and higher gear ratio installed.  Currently my max speed while peddling is around 22-26km.

Getting:
  • New spokes
  • New Hub (bigger/tougher)
  • New rear gear set.
Lessons Learned:
I should have a spare rear tire "complete" ready to swap out, otherwise I will be with out a bike for 2 weeks.  I say this, because with all my bikes, due to my weight and the strength of my legs, I have a tendency to warp rear rims.  This was a problem with my last "hybrid mountain bike" where I kept 2 spare rear wheels.

4 comments:

  1. Wonder if you'd save yourself lots of cash if you learned to build your own wheels. Then you could just keep whatever spokes/rims/hubs you needed in stock.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thought about that myself after I already agreed for the mtb store to proceed with the rebuild of the tire. I have 3 other rims that I can play with, so I might just built myself a backup. I seem to replace my rear tire enough that I can warrant the concept of buying some tools and do it myself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In your case, I think it's a really good idea. It's going to cost you a lot less than buying new wheels (or bikes!) all the time. And still cheaper than car maintenance. :D

      Here's a good guide to get started: http://www.sheldonbrown.com/wheelbuild.html

      Helps to have a "non-production" bike to work on. For example, I've been trying more advanced repairs on my winter bike. I can take my time with it right now and it doesn't impede my ability to ride.

      Delete
  3. I don't have the space in the shed to have two bikes dedicated to myself. But I do have plans on having spare rear rims.

    One thing at a time.

    My knowledge on bike repair has grown exponential since two years ago. I'll take a look at the link and add it to my "tool box" of resources. :)

    ReplyDelete